Now the chassis is complete, it is time to begin work on the suspension and body.

We are still not sure exactly how this car is going to look but we know that it is going to be lower than the original.  At this point we feel that 2 1/2″ lower would look about right.

If we lowered the suspension it would  change the front caster angle and introduce the risk of hard steering or change the on-center feel.  One way to correct this would be to cut the king pins off the front suspension arms and re-weld them at a shallower angle to re-establish the original caster.  However, doing that is very tricky without a very carefully constructed jig.  Failure to get the caster and camber exactly right would cause the car to pull to one side. So rather than lower the suspension we decided to lower the body over the chassis.

While we  build the body, we need some kind of platform that would keep the chassis at the original ride height.  The original heights are 195 mm under the front suspension attachment and 280 mm at the rear.  But wait a minute.  Our chassis has been deliberately shortened by 250 mm so we can build a Barbot replica.  That means that the rear attachment needs to drop a bit to ensure that the chassis keeps the same downward rake as the original.

So, Bob came and took some measurements and went away with the idea that I would go to his place and we would put together a platform of some kind.  When I went over to see Bob, who was comfortably listening to the radio and doing the crossword on his front porch, we went into the garage and lo and behold he had built a couple of dollies at the right height, with wheels, and painted red, no less, with the Citroen chevrons on them.  Here is a picture of the chassis on the dollies. (It is not sitting quite right on the dollies in this shot because the driveway is not level). Thanks Bob, for a great idea and super job putting them together.

Share →