Finally, the car is sitting on its four wheels! Break out the champagne! Thanks to Michel Larouche (2CV MDL Enr) we got all of the parts to rebuild the suspension. Most of the original parts were salvageable except for the following:

  • 2 dented and badly rusted suspension canisters
  • 4 hopelessly rusted suspension canister ends
  • 4 rusted and maimed spring cups
  • 1 threaded tube that was actually rusted through

Thanks for the prompt service and the new parts Michel! Assembling things took a little bit of figuring out. When assembling the canisters, I had to ensure that the long spring was at the front and the short spring at the rear, and that I marked that canisters accordingly. Welding them up was a breeze because I was dealing with all new metal. When putting the spring cups into the canisters, it is a good idea to run a file over the edges of the canisters and chamfer the edges of the cups so they slide into the canisters easily. Here is a picture of me making sure that there were no burrs on the canister. Note the parts all over the floor. I tend to be a bit messy when working. Inserting the assembled canisters into the chassis was relatively easy. I just needed to remember to slip the suspension rubbers and nuts over the pull rods before sliding the canisters into the chassis. I had to take them out a few times before I figured this out. If you are doing this kind of work, I recommend that you insert the canisters into the chassis then cut the pull rods to length using and angle grinder with a cutting wheel. If you try cutting the pull rods first, you will not get them the right length. When I screwed the pulling eyes (sucettes) to the rear pull rods, I found that I did not have enough adjustment room on the pull rods. This is because I shortened the rear chassis (and therefore the pull rods as well) by 10″ (250 mm). So I had to shorten my modified pulling eyes for the rear. Here is a detail of the rear pull rods fully assembled into the chassis. The two extra nuts on the pull rod are jammed to each other and I used them for turning the rod to adjust the height of the suspension. Here is a view of the front pull rod. Note how long it is compared to the rear. And now for the grand finale. Here is the chassis finally sitting on its suspension. After putting everything together I bounced the chassis up and down to try it out and got a few alarming boink noises until the suspension parts aligned themselves properly. My first impression of the chassis sitting out on the driveway is “Is this thing ever small. I hope something big doesn’t hit me!”

Share →