My 2cv engine has, or should I say had, rubber cylinder shrouds.  The top ones are fine, but the bottom ones fell apart when I removed them.  From reading the internet, this is a very common problem.  So, what to do?

Well, used metal shrouds for a 602 are hard to come by in Canada.  I could buy them from a supplier in France at a cost ranging from $160 t0 $600 plus shipping, plus HST, plus customs charges,  Yikes!

So, for about $10 worth of sheet metal and a bit of labour I decided to make my own.

I decided to make the shrouds in 6 pieces and weld them together:  an angle with a relief to the cylinder head oil feed pass through, an outer face for the cylinder head, an inner face, a top, a piece for the barrel, and a tail piece.  Got all that?

Step one was to install the upper shroud and fan housing, turn the engine upside down, then make paper patterns.  What made it harder was that I couldn’t use the old bottom shrouds for patterns. When I said they fell apart, it was not so fell apart as disintegrated into breadcrumbs. Here are pictures of two of the patterns.

IMG_1203

IMG_1202

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Then, it was a case of drilling the mounting holes, welding it all together, then trimming off any excess metal.  If you want to try this, you will need:

  • 22 gauge sheet steel
  • a Mig welder
  • For my old eyes, an auto-darkening helmet with 2 diopter magnifying lenses, and an LED light mounted on the torch.  You would not believe how much easier it is to weld with this setup!
  • body hammers
  • body dollies
  • an air nibbler (this is the greatest tool ever, so much better than shears)
  • a honking big bench vise
  • vice-grip welding clamps
  • cardstock
  • a sharpie
  • lots of patience

I found it a lot easier to temporarily remove the oil pressure relief valve, the oil filter mount, and the fuel pump so I could get my fingers in to hand bend the sheet metal. Trouble with that, is that I now need a replacement O-ring for the oil filter angle bracket.  The original has been in place for 20+ years and is now mashed flat and hard as a rock.

Here is a picture of the completed driver side lower shroud before filling and painting.

IMG_1228IMG_1223

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Two 7 mm screws secure each shroud to its cylinder head. I had to put spacer between the new shrouds and the cylinder heads. Trouble with that is that the spacers moved around and fell out of place very time I tried to install a shroud. Since 7 mm x 1.0 anything are impossible to find nowadays, I fired up my trusty lathe and made studs to replace the screws then turned new spacers tapped with a 7 mm thread. These spacers now thread onto the new studs and remain in place while your install a shroud. Voilà!

So, here are some pictures of the end results. Ta da!

thumb_IMG_0021_1024 thumb_IMG_0022_1024 thumb_IMG_0023_1024 thumb_IMG_0024_1024

Share →